Information Access Centers (IACs), overseen by Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning (MSIP) and executed by National Information Society Agency (NIA), offer an infrastructure with better access and opportunity to use IT for the general public in the partner countries, thus contributing to the improvement of the information based environment.
Around 4 countries with strong potential for national IT development through bilateral cooperation are selected annually as IAC sites. Each Center contains a training lab, an internet lounge, a seminar room, and an administrative, office, which together make a comprehensive IT facility equipped with the newest PCs, A/Vs, O/As. etc.
- The beneficiary government is responsible for providing the venue at which the Center is to be located, investing on the general construction costs, and operating and managing the Center.
- In addition to establishing the Center, the Korean government also renovates the IAC every 4 years by replacing the obsolete hardware and software equipment with new equipment.
In order to reflect and meet the needs of the beneficiary country, each Center is designed after a thorough field study.
- Exemplary models are as follows: (1) Education-oriented model. computer-lab-style Centers built mostly at universities and other academic institutions; (2) Access-oriented model-telecenter-type Centers built at organizations to provide accessibility to information; and (3) standard model. archetypal Centers
Since 2002, 38 IACs have been established at 36 countries, allowing public access and IT training to 11 million local residents
- All local operators are trained in Korea in order to incorporate knowledge gained through human and technology exchanges.
The Centers function as the hub for training, seminars, conferences, coordinated by both local and Korean organizations.
[Equipment of IAC]
Equipment of IAC Facilities Equipment ICT Training
- est Environment for ICT Education
- PCs, Printer, Scanner, Projector, A/V Equipment
- Free Access Internet for Everyone
- PCs, Multi-function Printer, PDP TV Set
- Proper Space for Seminar, Conference, and class
- PCs, Beam Projector, Video Conference, Eguiqment, Other A/V Equipment
- Office for 3 IAC Operators
- PCs, Server, Multi-function Printer, Copy Machine
[Annual IAC Establishment]
Annual IAC Establishment Year '98 2002 Cambodia 2003 Romania 2004 Egypt, Philippines, Bulgaria 2005 Laos, Tunisia 2006 Indonesia, Nigeria 2007 Mongolia, Uzbekistan, Kenya 2008 Guatemala, Mozambique, Sri Lanka, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh 2009 Morocco, Algeria, Paraguay, Peru 2010 Bolivia, Kyrgyzstan, Jordan, Rwanda, 2011 Nepal, Ukraine, Ghana, Panama 2012 Molodva, Vietnam, Myanmar, Colombia 2013 Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, Ethiopia, Dominican Republic
[IAC Blueprint Model]